Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What? Where? How on earth did you find a job there?

It's been 9 months since I returned to England from the Marshall Islands and I miss it terribly. When talking to people about my experience I am often asked how I ended up on a coral atoll in the middle of the Pacific. The internet is my reply. Before I discovered the job I had no idea where the Marshall Islands were; in my defence I had heard of Micronesia which is the closest country to it but the Marshall Islands, well no not really...
The Republic of the Marshall Islands is almost directly in the middle if you draw a straight line from the north-eastern tip of Australia and Hawaii. The vast blue of the Pacific you see on globes...well it's a dot in the middle of there, well actually it's lots of dots in the middle of there as the country is 772,000 square miles but the majority of this is water although there are over 1000 islands, and 29 atolls of which 24 are inhabited. Don't bother looking for it in those world maps you get in diaries as it's not there; the world it seems begins at Hawaii and ends at Fiji. Living there it did feel like the rest of the world didn't exist but we'll come onto that later.
So how did I get a job on an island I'd never heard of? Well, silly, I found it on www.pacificislandjobs.com of course, then found out where it was! 

2 comments: